[Kolab-devel] Horde preferences: LDAP or IMAP?

Alain Spineux aspineux at gmail.com
Fri Oct 5 13:00:33 CEST 2007

On 10/4/07, Martin Konold <martin.konold at erfrakon.de> wrote:
> Am Donnerstag 04 Oktober 2007 schrieb Alain Spineux:
>
> Hi,
>
> > SQLite is not scalable!
>
> IMHO I don't agree in this use case. Please explain why it is supposed to be
> not scalable. (I assume that the db is held on the kolabHomeServer and the
> data is propagated using authenticated https.

This is the way you read it, but how do you update the preferences.
And how do you update the preference in a distributed infrastructure.
You must lock the file before to write it.

If using imap, you cannot update an "email" , you must erase the email
and create a new one with a new UID. How do you know you have only one
instance of the data. If not
you can alway use the last one

> > What about kolab infrastructure with multiple server ?
>
> See my other post about how to handle this case.

My questio was about updating in a multiserver environment.

> > With multiple Web server and the same user logged twice ?
>
> Multiple simultaneous logins are a problem for every clients configuration. I
> guess that the only reasonably implementable solution is a "last write wins"
> approach.

Of course, "last write wins", but in a multi-user environement, you cannot make
the update without care.

> Regards,
> -- martin konold
>
> --
> e r f r a k o n
> Erlewein, Frank, Konold & Partner - Beratende Ingenieure und Physiker
> Sitz: Adolfstraße 23 Stuttgart - Partnerschaftsregister Stuttgart PR 126
> http://www.erfrakon.com/

Alain Spineux
aspineux gmail com
May the sources be with you