[Kolab-devel] New Horde web client finished

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at pardus.de
Wed May 30 14:24:14 CEST 2007

Hi!

As most of you know Horde has been an incomplete Kolab2 client for
quite a while now. The development to convert the web client into a
fully compatible Kolab2 client has been restarted last year and is
about to reach its final stage.

Last year p at rdus (http://www.pardus.de) started developing a new Horde
driver for Kolab groupware folders. At the same time Thomas Jarosch
from Intra2net (http://www.intra2net.de) developed a caching framework
to boost the speed and usability to a reasonable level.

The Kolab Konsortium (http://www.kolab-konsortium.de) decided to
sponsor and accelerate the Horde development done by p at rdus at the
beginning of this year and the new caching framework was sponsored by
KONSEC (http://www.konsec.de) and WU Wien (http://www.wu-wien.ac.at).

In the last two months we did join forces in order to integrate the
improvements into Horde CVS. This has been an extremely successful
cooperation and the new Kolab framework has now been committed to
Horde CVS. We believe that this finally converts Horde into a fully
compatible Kolab2 client. With these changes in place Horde/Kolab is
now moving into a bug fixing phase in order to stabilize the Kolab
specific code for the Horde 3.2 release which is to be expected soon.

Development took place in a special Horde branch
(http://projects.pardus.de/kolab/browser) which made it hard for
others to follow the development. With this final CVS commit the Horde
CVS system can be considered the ultimate point of reference again. So
if you have bug fixes or wish to improve the Horde code, Horde CVS
HEAD will be your friend.

p at rdus did create the necessary packages for both OpenPKG and
Gentoo. These packages are now based on CVS snapshots and provide some
specific Kolab patches that have not yet or will not be included into
Horde CVS. Once Horde 3.2 has been released Horde/Kolab will start to
use reliable, released packages.

In the meantime we encourage all people that do not run a production
server and that are interested in hosting a Horde web client to join
the bug hunting phase. In order to install Horde please consult the
updated installation instructions in the Kolab wiki
(http://wiki.kolab.org/index.php/Kolab2_Installation_-_Horde).

Please submit any problems you might have either to the Kolab bug
tracker (https://www.intevation.de/roundup/kolab/) using the keyword
"horde" or to the Kolab queue of the Horde bug tracker
(http://bugs.horde.org/).

Cheers,

Thomas and Gunnar