[Kolab-devel] Integration of Kolab2 and Samba

Martin Konold martin.konold at erfrakon.de
Fri May 25 00:35:38 CEST 2007

Alain Spineux wrote:

Hi Alain,
> On 5/24/07, Martin Konold <martin.konold at erfrakon.de> wrote:
>
>> Am Montag 21 Mai 2007 schrieb Alain Spineux:
>>
>> Hi,
>>

>>> If kolab could integrate the base for the samba integration this could
>>> boost it use.
>>>
>> Seriously, can you elaborate this a little bit more.
>>

> More than one year ago, when I was in the business of outsourcing for
> Small Office,
> (meaning I was the IT manager for lot of Small Office), I was looking for
> a solution providing the same service as SBS from M$.
> Don't forget Exchange is running on a system able to do filesharing too :-) !
> Both, mail and file using the same user database!
> This is just what all SmallOffice need!
>
> The work to integrate Kolab and Samba was too big for someone ( me ) without
>  good ldap knowledges. If the attributes required for samba where
> already included
> in the kolab schema, and that someone had reported success without
> too much work, I would have tried ! Only if the attributes where in !
>
> Kolab 3 (integrating even limited Samba functionalities) should be a
> bigger killer
> (referring the idiomatic expression "Exchange killer")  than Kolab2 !
>
> Limited Samba3 functionalities means a least the user database.
> But do you know samba already support to retrieve some configuration
> parameters from ldap ? Shared folders could be, already defined into ldap.

While I don't think it is a good idea to directly compete with MS SBS I
agree that integration with Samba shall be easier for Kolab 3.
Technically this does not require too much.
Instead of modifying the Kolab Schema we would basically add the Samba
Schema and the NIS Schema as an additional addon schema.

Also we must not forget to add suitable samba related ACLs to the
OpenLDAP configuration.

We can also seriously consider to ease support for a Samba addon already
in the current 2.1 code base.

Regards,
-- martin