[Kolab-devel] [issue1708] Openpkg install fails because kolab user's shell is /bin/false

Graeme Mathieson kolab-issues at intevation.de
Thu May 3 11:30:48 CEST 2007

New submission from Graeme Mathieson <mathie at rubaidh.com>:

I'm just trying out Kolab 2.1-rc2 on a freshly built Ubuntu 7.04 install.  It
successfully installs openpkg itself, but fails to build or install any of the
kolab packages or dependencies.

Tracking it down a bit further, I discovered that the line:

    su "${BUILDUSER}" -c "${BUILDEXEC}" | tee /tmp/${PRG}-${PKG}.rebuild.log

(in the @rebuild function of the obmtool script) was doing nothing.  It turns
out that ${BUILDUSER} is set to kolab, and that kolab's shell is /bin/false.
When su is used in this manner, it runs the command passed through the user's
default shell which, being /bin/false, silently does nothing but exit with a
status code of 1.

Two solutions:

* Set the kolab user's shell to /kolab/lib/openpkg/bash.  This is the solution I
chose because it was, well, the easiest one. :-)

* Change the command line to something along the lines of:

    su "${BUILDUSER}" -s /kolab/lib/openpkg/bash -c "${BUILDEXEC}" | tee
/tmp/${PRG}-${PKG}.rebuild.log

The latter seems the best option, but I'm not sure how portable it is -- I don't
think the -s flag is implemented on all of openpkg's supported platforms.

messages: 10363
nosy: mathie
priority: urgent
status: unread
title: Openpkg install fails because kolab user's shell is /bin/false