[Kolab-devel] [issue1665] Extending the functionality of the kolabd dist_conf directory

Gunnar Wrobel kolab-issues at intevation.de
Wed Mar 21 22:24:38 CET 2007

New submission from Gunnar Wrobel <p at rdus.de>:

Currently the dist_conf directory within the kolabd package holds distribution
specific paths and allows to use the four central kolab packages (perl-kolab,
kolabd, kolab-resource-handlers and kolab-webadmin) on different distributions
without the need for extensive patching.

There are some situations where patches are still needed and I'd be happy if
these could be avoided too.

My suggestion would be to create an additional directory per distribution within
the dist_conf directory that would hold files that differ from distribution to
distribution.

The structure would look like this:

 dist_conf/
  |.. kolab
  |.. kolab-files/
  |.. suse
  |.. suse-files/
  |.. gentoo
  |.. gentoo-files/

The *-files directory could then hold distribution specific scripts. You can
also check my current repository where I did start this already
(http://projects.pardus.de/kolab/browser/kolab-cvs/kolabd/kolabd/dist_conf).

I'll create more issues that will explain in detail which type of scripts could
be placed in this directory.

I am actually also in favor of adding all the templates for a distribution
within the dist_conf directory:

 dist_conf/
  |.. kolab
  |.. kolab-files/
  |.. kolab-files/templates/
  |.. suse
  |.. suse-files/
  |.. suse-files/templates/

This might not be too useful at the beginning since the configurations are
highly dependent on the base packages (like postfix, cyrus etc) that are being
used. The selection of the correct configuration files is more in the domain of
the packge manager rather then in the realm of kolabd. Nevertheless having the
templates available across the distributions might be a good point of reference.

assignedto: wrobel
messages: 10023
nosy: bernhard, mhuewe, rbos, steffen, thomas, wrobel
priority: feature
status: unread
title: Extending the functionality of the kolabd dist_conf directory
topic: server