[Kolab-devel] New with Kolab (Hello all)

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at pardus.de
Tue Mar 20 15:27:27 CET 2007

Hi Jonathan,

> It is indeed cumbersome, I'm not familiar with dist_conf/debian, but I
> just Googled it and found a bunch of messages that you wrote, I'll read
> up on it, if it can save work and simplify the packaging and maintenance
> of Kolab, I'm 100% for it.

the dist_conf/* mechanism in the newer Kolab versions is the basis for
porting Kolab to different distributions. But one should not
underestimate the effort of maintaining a Kolab port. While the
dist_conf/* mechanism saves one side of the problem you still need to
handle the configuration of the native packages. Basically you need to
maintain a modified version of the kolab/templates directory.

That does not change the fact that I also believe that the dist_conf/*
way is currently the only reasonable way to port Kolab to another ditro.

Cheers,

Gunnar