[Kolab-devel] New with Kolab (Hello all)

Jonathan Carter jonathan at impilinux.co.za
Fri Mar 16 09:12:33 CET 2007

Hi Richard

Richard Bos wrote:
>> You have to use tar, since cp and mv doesn't play too nicely with
>> recuring directories that are used by multiple packages.
>
> Wow that looks cumbersome....  If you do all this, why not just put in some
> energy into the dist_conf/debian and just have the everything native for
> debian.

It is indeed cumbersome, I'm not familiar with dist_conf/debian, but I
just Googled it and found a bunch of messages that you wrote, I'll read
up on it, if it can save work and simplify the packaging and maintenance
of Kolab, I'm 100% for it.

>> 2.2M  kolab-sasl_2.1-rc1_i386.deb
>> 692K  kolab-spamassassin_2.1-rc1_i386.deb
>> 204K  kolab-webadmin_2.1-rc1_i386.deb
>
> Hmm, this does not look like the right approach to obtain native packages...
> I can imagine that debian has already a amavisd, cyrus-imap, perl, you name
> it already.  Or am I mistaken.

This approach doesn't give you 100% native packages, what it does is to
recreate the /kolab environment that is ultimately very similar to the
one created by OpenPKG. I've preliminarily taken this approach, since
both Debian and Kolab recommends that using the OpenPKG installation is
the most stable. However, if we can use more of Debian's packages, and
we can still meet deadlines, I'll be all for it.

>> Not sure if there's a better way do to #2, suggestions are welcome, it
>> would be nice to get the LSB compliance in upstream Kolab, although it's
>> understandable that LSB isn't that important when your system is meant
>> to run on just about every Unix system that is currently supported :)
>
> I don't agree what state above.  It is very important for the kolab versions
> that run natively on suse and gentoo.  As such there is a script in kolab
> cvs, that that care for this;
> you could have used the kolabsrv.in script, that is part of kolab cvs.  Find
> it here:
> http://kolab.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs-kolab.cgi/server/kolabd/kolabd/dist_conf/kolabsrv.in?rev=1.7&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup
> It prepared to be shared among distributions, so change what is needed to get
> it working on Debian.  Others will profit from your changes as well.

Ah, thanks for that.

>> Yes, I moved everything to /usr/lib/kolab, and the postinst script for
>> impi-kolab-server simply creates the /kolab symlink, which means that
>> the package doesn't have to copy a single file into /. Lintian and Linda
>> still points out that a lot of the files in /usr/lib/kolab doesn't
>> belong there, if we're really going to get pedantic over FHS compliance,
>> we'll have to split the files up and create symlinks, as done with the
>> Firefox packages.
>
> See above, try to the dist_conf/debian:
> http://kolab.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs-kolab.cgi/server/kolabd/kolabd/dist_conf/debian?rev=1.8&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup
> Have it updated to the latest and greates kolab version and you are done with
> it.

Great! That looks extremely useful, do you mind if I contact you for
some assistance? Can I also find you on the Kolab IRC channel?

-Jonathan

--
Jonathan Carter
Distribution Architect - Impi Linux
Jabber: jonathan at jabber.org
VoIP: sip://jonathan.carter@ekiga.net
1st Floor, Wembley Building,  The Campus, 57 Sloane Street, Bryanston
http://www.impilinux.co.za