[Kolab-devel] A reminder about merges to us package maintainers (OpenPKG, Suse, Gentoo, Debian etc.)

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at pardus.de
Thu Mar 15 16:34:35 CET 2007

Hi fellow package maintainers,

did anyone of you ever get frustrated at patching cyrus, postfix or
php?

I had to work on adapting the Kolab specific postfix-2.20 patches to
the newer postfix-2.3.7 version yesterday since I wanted to close the
gap to mainline Gentoo. This type of work is something I don't enjoy
too much since I have no clue whatsoever about the postfix innards nor
do I particularly enjoy coding C.

Since the newer postfix version needed only one last patch I actually
gathered enough motivation to check the progress on this last patch in
the Kolab bug tracker (https://intevation.de/roundup/kolab/merge8) and
the postfix-* mailing lists. There was no activity on that patch
within the last one and a half years.

And since I thought asking does not hurt I sent a mail to
postfix-devel:
http://archive.netbsd.se/?ml=postfix-devel&a=2007-03&m=3314372

The result: I had to correct some white space problems and the patch
will be accepted.

A patch free postfix will mean significant less work for myself and
the other package maintainers in upcoming releases. In addition it
will be less problematic to integrate Kolab into other distributions.

Comparing the necessary effort with the outcome, I must say that we
should probably be much more active on the remaining merges.

My 2 cents ;)

Cheers,

Gunnar