[Kolab-devel] RFC - The future development direction of Kolab

Alain Spineux aspineux at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 20:28:49 CEST 2007

You forgot DNS (bind), DHCP, .... , why not PRINTERS (cups) ... in fact
anything witch is already using LDAP or with a .conf file :-)

If you want to go so fare you should consider existing solution like GOSA
and
think about new problems ....

I thing KOLAB goal is to be a groupware, the best one, and that another
project
should finely integrate all these tools.
KOLAB developers must take care of theses porject request to facilitate its
integration.

Alain

On 6/14/07, Stephan Buys <stephan at impi.org.za> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> In which direction should we push Kolab going forward?
>
> Kolab's single greatest feature for me is the fact that it was designed
> around
> a LDAP directory. The role that kolabd fullfills is really versatile and
> can
> be used beyond just groupware/email:
> - With the KOLAB_META template mechanisms it is possible to deliver:
>         * Samba integration
>         * Asterisk integration
>         * LDAP logons for Linux clients
>         * Auto-configuration (via LDAP) of Kontact for first time users
> using LDAP
> logons
>
> ** Shouldn't we consider making kolabd a first-class citizen? Its own
> sub-project, tightly coupled with LDAP/slurpd and able to handle much more
> than just postfix/cyrus/etc? It could be the basis for an enterprise-wide
> directory/central user store managing services as needed.
>
> Love to hear your thoughts...
>
> Kind Regards
> --
> Stephan Buys