[Kolab-devel] Kolab Server 2.2-beta1 based on OpenPKG-CURRENT, RFC for CVS

Thomas Arendsen Hein thomas at intevation.de
Tue Jun 12 18:49:35 CEST 2007

Hi!

Source and Debian etch ix86 binary installer downloadable from:
http://ftp.belnet.be/packages/kolab/server/beta/kolab-server-2.2-beta-1/
ftp://ftp.belnet.be/packages/kolab/server/beta/kolab-server-2.2-beta-1/
http://www.erfrakon.de/mirrors/ftp.kolab.org/server/beta/kolab-server-2.2-beta-1/
as soon as mirroring has catched up.

The install instructions are currently only in German, here is a
very short version:

1. copy source or ix86-debian4.0 files to a directory writable for root
2. ./install-kolab.sh openpkg-*.sh
3. /kolab/etc/kolab/kolab_bootstrap -b

Compiling from source took 3 hours on a test system (P4 2.8GHz),
installing the binaries 3 minutes on the same system.

All this is not in CVS yet, but patches are available in addition to
the sources directory. Here is my RFC how to add this to CVS:

- create a "kolab_2_1_branch" branch for the server directory,
  currently most things could go in there as kolab 2.1.1 should
  contain some new features, e.g. better Horde support and
  kolab/issue1340 (restrict users to sending mail only to internal recipients)

- everything that goes into this branch should regularly be merged
  into HEAD:

  In HEAD branch:
    cvs update -A  # just to be sure
    cvs update -kk -j merged_2_1_branch -j kolab_2_1_branch

  In 2.1 branch:
    cvs update -r kolab_2_1_branch  # just to be sure
    cvs tag merged_2_1_branch

- If things happen in kolab_2_1_branch that shouldn't go into HEAD,
  e.g. bumping version numbers for releases, the merged_2_1_branch
  tag can simply be moved forward.

- When development for 2.1 branch settles down, primary development
  will move to HEAD and merging is no longer performed.

Any comments or suggestions about this?

Additionally I was thinking about moving the templates into a
separate package, so different distributions can provide their own
version, or we can simply release updated templates when non-kolab
components are upgraded without providing a new kolabd package.

For OpenPKG this package could require kolabd, kolab-webadmin, etc.,
so installing a new server from a package repository could be as
simple as "openpkg build kolab-server-2.2.0-2007????.src.rpm".

Regards,
Thomas Arendsen Hein

P.S.:
Slightly related, I have converted the 2.0 and HEAD branches for
Mercurial (http://www.selenic.com/mercurial/) and published it at
http://hg.intevation.org/tmp/kolab-server/ (browsable and pullable)

Or for people wanting to browse the latest gitweb style (beta):
http://hg.intevation.org/beta/tmp/kolab-server/?style=gitweb

As the 'tmp' indicates I plan to throw away this tree in the near
future and convert it again after doing some improvements on the
converter, but it already is usable.

--
thomas at intevation.de - http://intevation.de/~thomas/ - OpenPGP key: 0x5816791A
Intevation GmbH, Osnabrueck - Register: Amtsgericht Osnabrueck, HR B 18998