[Kolab-devel] Integration of Kolab2 and Samba

Ingo Steuwer steuwer at univention.de
Mon Jun 11 15:28:51 CEST 2007

Am Montag, 11. Juni 2007 14:47 schrieb Alain Spineux:
> I'm speaking about MINIMAL INTEGRATION.
> I mean, openldap configuration should already contains enough stuff to let
> people integrate samba without changing any Kolab configuration!

Don't underestimate the complexity of a minimal integration. A complex point
are passwords: samba (or better: CIFS) needs by design it's own hashes, so
new users in Kolab nedd those hashes as well as samba has to change the
userpasswd if a Domain User changes its password against samba. You also have
to cover unique SIDs for the also needed Posix-Accounts (G)IDs and
primary-group-memberships. You can't cover this with a "rule-based-engine"
mentioned previous.

> This will  keep them to  disturb any already  working kolab server.
> And reduce problem for us (YOU)

If a minimal integration just means "integrate samba.schema" it will lead to
other integration-problems/questions, beside password-related topics you need
to be sure that adding users with Kolab is compatble with adding users via
samba. I'd expect (just a guess, never tried) that samba will add users in a
place where Kolab-Admin will not find them; adding them with Kolab-Admin will
lead to duplicate uids which may then fool samba.

> For 2.1 successor, YOU will have to redesign  the LDAP tree  for a  better
> mutli-domain support (maybe one tree per domain choise the good UID, ... )
> Just take in account that someone will use this structure for samba !

I'd also expect a boost of interest in Kolab with a working samba-integration
which can at least cover adduser and password related topics with some
documentation of a working samba-configuration. To integrate only the
LDAP-schema will only lead to questions/problems on a technically different
level.

Best Regards
Ingo Steuwer