[Kolab-devel] something is not good about kolab

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Tue Jul 3 19:40:21 CEST 2007

On Friday 29 June 2007 17:30, Alain Spineux wrote:
> What could help kolab is a test comparing all groupware solution.
> Comparison should be the first thing that people _in_charge_ and IT-manager
> should check.

In my experience this does not help.
There were several of this guides published,
e.g. http://www.heise.de/kiosk/special/ixstudie/07/02/ (in German)
by a reputated publisher.

They have touched 19 solutions (three of them Kolab Server based)
and of course they are only scratching on the surface.
All solutions try to be checklist compatible, but this says
way to little if the user experience will be good after a year or two
and if all the workflow could be supported.

I believe that Joon is right in that we could improve the ease
of the Server installation, though it is not that bad.
We could also improve the websites and the look of all clients,
including the webadminstration client.

With Kolab Server 2.2.0beta and Horde for Kolab (beta) we just
started to improve on the base technology. For KK this is paramount
to keep the early key customers happy and then carefully extend.
I'd rather have a few people not knowing Kolab then to burn
them because we have not been ready.
We will get to the documentation, ease and looks
also after having renovated the basis.

KK will do a lot on the KDE client side this year (we already did)
and this also will have a good effect directly on users.

Best,
Bernhard