[Kolab-devel] [issue1575] Openldap enhanced data integrity

Jørgen H. Fjeld kolab-issues at intevation.de
Mon Jan 22 15:07:21 CET 2007

New submission from =?iso-8859-1?q?J=F8rgen_H=2E?= Fjeld <jhf at linpro.no>:

Hello.

Data integrity in ldap can be improved by using overlays.
There are two overlays that are quite interesting for kolab.
Here is an excerpt from my openldap 2.3 slapd.conf
#### Using overlays to improve data consistency
# Ensure that we never get dangling member attributes
# Checked on rename and delete
overlay refint
refint_attributes member
# The mail and the uid attribute must be unique.
# Ensures uniqueness per attribute.
overlay unique
unique_attributes mail uid
####

I believe both overlays use one extra ldap search to enforce the restrictions
upon changes to ldap.
Given that in principle writes are expensive and reads are cheap, the cost of
adding a cheap operation to an already expensive operation is negligible.

Notice that the refint overlay does not ensure that "member: ..." exists.

messages: 9421
nosy: jhf
status: unread
title: Openldap enhanced data integrity