[Kolab-devel] Migration from Lotus Notes - Documentation

gelpi@corona.it corona at gelpi.it
Fri Jan 12 10:29:15 CET 2007

Hi,
    I migrated a domain from an old version of Lotus Dominio to kolab
2.1 beta3. Here is some documentation.
Is it possible to upload it to wiki?

I try three different methods with different results.

First I try to use imapsync (http://freshmeat.net/projects/imapsync/)
but Lotus Domino return an undocumented error during connect phase. I
think this is related to specific installation. Perhaps Lotus Domino was
too old or some patches are missing.

Second method.

Using a Lotus Notes Client I connect to Lotus Noted user DB and in All
Documents I mark all mail as unread.

Then I use fetchmail to poll Lotus Notes in POP3 mode. (Only mail marked
as non read are fetched).

With this method I can transfer lots of mails, but not all. For some
reason, I was not be able to understand, some messages does not come out
from Lotus Notes.

Another problem with this method is that every sub folder present in
Lotus Notes is lost. After migration all mails are in inbox.

With this method I also had frequently hangs and I have to restart the
polling. In this case the messages already migrated are not deleted
inside Lotus Notes. Yo have to do it manually.
I suggest to use the -t option to avoid waiting  too much.
I also suggest to use the -b or -B option to limit the number of message
fetched in a poll.

Third method.

This is the most sure, but also terrible slow and I cannot automate it.

Using a Lotus Notes Client I connect to a user DB and from User' s
Personal Address book I defin user' s kolab mailbox  as an IMAP. This
create a new local Lotus Notes DB.

After I select all message from old Lotus Notes and then copy to
clipboard (CTRL-C). I select kolab mailbox lotus DB, I create the sub
folder and paste the message there.

This is slow because Lotus Notes copies messages from Lotus Domino
Server to local kolab Lotus DB, and then syncronise this DB with kolab.
So messages are move twice.

Another big problem is that this method cannot move more then 64 MByte
of data at a time.
So I sorted the messages in reverse size order and move some of them
taking care not to exceed 64 MByte of data.

With this methods I was able to migrate about 5 GByte of data per day.

With method two and three I also discover a serious problem.

If inside Lotus Notes there are messages with huge attachments, and the
message size exceed the limit of 20 MByte (Default for kolab), the
message is considered transferred from Lotus Notes and so deleted, but
Kolab cannot write it inside user mailbox. The result is that the
message is lost. I think this problem arise because Lotus Domino version
was too old.

Using fetchmail you can use -l option to limit the size of fetched mail.

--
Gelpi ing. Andrea