[Kolab-devel] sendmail vs smtp

Richard Bos ml at radoeka.nl
Thu Jan 11 17:08:15 CET 2007

On Thu, Jan 11, 2007 at 09:14:07AM +0100, Gunnar Wrobel wrote:
> Richard Bos <ml at radoeka.nl> writes:
>
> > Is there a big difference in configuring sendmail instead of smtps for sending
> > email?  I ask because, AFAIK horde only works with kolab when it is
> > configured with sendmail.  I understand that kolab's smtps should be used to
> > reach the smtps server, when horde runs on another system.  But when both
> > (horde and kolab's smtps server ) run on the same system, does it matter what
> > is used for sending emails?  Does the smtp(s) server perform checks, that
> > sendmail is e.g. not doing?
>
> You certainly omit the smtpd_sender_restrictions provided in
> /etc/postfix/main.cf. Then again Horde should be configured so that it
> only allows authenticated users into the system.
>
> So it depends on how much you trust your horde configuration :)
>
> Maybe I'll find the reason for the failure to configure Horde to use
> smtp. I'll update the wiki then.

Is it already possible to determine which project (horde/kolab) is to "blame"?
As I can use smtps from kolab with kmail, I would blame horde.  But I guess
that there horde users that can perfectly well use smtps, but I have
actually no idea whether the last statement is true.  How to test?  Using
wireshark?  That's not easy as the contents of the packages can't be checked,
because they are scrambled...

--
Richard