[Kolab-devel] thomas: server/kolab-webadmin/kolab-webadmin/php/admin/locale/de/LC_MESSAGES messages.po, 1.23, 1.24

Thomas Arendsen Hein thomas at intevation.de
Thu Feb 22 15:01:32 CET 2007

* Bernhard Herzog <bh at intevation.de> [20070221 13:57]:
> On Wednesday 21 February 2007 13:15, Gunnar Wrobel wrote:
> > Bernhard Herzog <bh at intevation.de> writes:
> > > This looks suspiciously like one message split into several translated
> > > strings.  Shouldn't this be fixed in the source so that it's only one
> > > translated string?
> >
> > This is the corresponding template:
> >
> > http://kolab.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs-kolab.cgi/server/kolab-webadmin/kolab-weba
> >dmin/php/admin/templates/systemaliasnagscreen.tpl?rev=1.2&content-type=text/
> >vnd.viewcvs-markup
> >
> > What would be necessary to fix it?
>
> I have no idea how this should be done in php or whether it can be done easily
> at all in php, but if it were Python code, I'd probably use something along
> these lines:
>
>    template = """If you have not yet created an account for this,
> to set up forwarding of mail to administrative email addresses."""
>    print gettext(template) % dict(attrs1='href="..." target="_blank"',
>                                   attrs2='href="..."')
>

> That is, move the links out of the string to be translated so that we get a
> string that contains at least whole sentences to be translated with minimal
> markup that is not going to change if the link target change.

I'm aware of all this, but:
- this is not Python (unfortunately)
- we're quite late in the RC\
- "I have no idea how this should be done in php" is even worse,
  this is an extra templating layer above plain php.

So better don't touch it now and wait until after 2.1.0 for the real
improvements.

Thomas

--
thomas at intevation.de - http://intevation.de/~thomas/ - OpenPGP key: 0x5816791A
Intevation GmbH, Osnabrück - Registereintrag: Amtsgericht Osnabrück, HR B 18998