[Kolab-devel] [Patch management

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at pardus.de
Tue Dec 4 18:21:43 CET 2007

Bernhard Reiter <bernhard at intevation.de> writes:

> On Tuesday 04 December 2007 07:22, Gunnar Wrobel wrote:
>> In any case that is the reason why it is better if you submit patches
>> for upstream code like horde in the bug tracker. I can then try to get
>> it in upstream and maintain it within mercurial.
>>
>> Of course it would be better if the patch management would be done
>> within the realm of *.kolab.org. As far as I know Thomas is still
>> pushing for mercurial use for the Kolab project.
>
> I do not think that mercurial SCM is a must have to good patch management.

No of course you can any advanced patch management system. I just did
not use a patch management system before and the queue system in
mercurial helped tremendously in dealing with the patch situation I have
when coding on Horde.

> (And pushing for mercurial seemed to have slowed down other important
> infrastructure improvements, so it might have been a bad idea at this point
> in general.)

I'm still not too much in favor of using mercurial as a version
control system for the Kolab sources - even if Thomas does not like to
hear that ;)

I believe subversion is far more familiar to most users and the
version control differences between mercurial and subversion are
negligible to me as a developer - Thomas would disagree ;)

But I believe that giving other interested parties easy access to the
Kolab sources would be simpler if we use subversion. Horde is also
switching to subversion by the way.

In any case the choice of the version control system does not have any
specific influence on the choice for the patch management system. I
have no trouble using mercurial for the Horde patches while commiting
to CVS.

Cheers,

Gunnar

Tel.   : +49 40 432 72335                           Bundesstrasse 29
Fax    : +49 40 432 70855                            D-20146 Hamburg