[Kolab-devel] Question about horde patches

Richard Bos ml at radoeka.nl
Sun Dec 2 12:33:24 CET 2007

Hi,

this question is probably for Gunnar as it is about horde patches, and most of
these have been done by Gunnar.

It looks like the horde patches are stored in a couple of places in cvs.  If I
do the the following in de cvs module server/horde:

# server/horde>  find -name "*patch" | cut -c3- | sort
It results in:
fbview-kronolith/HK-GW-Fbview_menu.patch
fbview-kronolith/HK-GW-Fbview_relevance.patch
fbview-kronolith/HK-GW-Fbview_xfb_access.patch
fbview-kronolith/HK-JS-Fix_library_import.patch
fbview-kronolith/HK-SB-Fbview_extra_params.patch
fbview-kronolith/HK-SB-Fbview_save_attendees.patch
horde-framework/HK-GW-Fbview_xfb_concept.patch
horde-framework/HK-GW-Fix_Prefs_for_Ingo.patch
horde/HK-GW-Deleting_categories.patch
horde-kronolith/HK-GW-Fbview_relevance.patch
horde-kronolith/HK-GW-Fbview_xfb_access.patch
horde-kronolith/HK-JS-Fix_library_import.patch
horde-kronolith/HK-SB-Fbview_extra_params.patch
horde-kronolith/HK-SB-Fbview_save_attendees.patch
horde-nag/HK-JS-Fix_library_import.patch
horde-turba/HK-GW-Fix_editing_contacts.patch
horde-turba/HK-GW-Fix_share_id_change.patch
horde-turba/HK-GW-Ldap_read_only_fix.patch

In total 18 files.  If I process the patches with md5sum, it appears that are
some equal patches in there, but stored in a different directory....

The once that are equal can all be found in the module: horde-kronolith
compared to fbview-kronolith:
 4688 fbview-kronolith/HK-GW-Fbview_relevance.patch
 4688 horde-kronolith/HK-GW-Fbview_relevance.patch
 5049 fbview-kronolith/HK-GW-Fbview_xfb_access.patch
 5049 horde-kronolith/HK-GW-Fbview_xfb_access.patch
  566 fbview-kronolith/HK-JS-Fix_library_import.patch
  566 horde-kronolith/HK-JS-Fix_library_import.patch
 4370 fbview-kronolith/HK-SB-Fbview_extra_params.patch
 4370 horde-kronolith/HK-SB-Fbview_extra_params.patch
10148 fbview-kronolith/HK-SB-Fbview_save_attendees.patch
10148 horde-kronolith/HK-SB-Fbview_save_attendees.patch
(a diff shows that they are 100% equal).

Why do those 2 modules provide exactly the same patches?

Now all the patches have been agregrated into 1 patch directory:
server/patches/horde.  This is quite nice as those patches have the horde
version in their name, so it is easy to determine on which horde they can be
applied.  But those patches are the same as the once above, but because of
their different they are not easy to map to the once above....
Also in the server/patches/horde there are 12 patches (ls HK* | wc -) and in
the horde cvs module there are 13 patches.  The patch that is present in the
horce cvs modules is HK-GW-Deleting_categories.patch
Does this mean that the HK-GW-Deleting_categories.patch should also be present
in the patches/horde cvs module?

Last I checked which patches are included in the spec files for the different
horde applications, and this results in total 11 patches (see below).  The
patches that are not included in the spec files are:
horde/horde-nag/HK-JS-Fix_library_import.patch
horde/horde/HK-GW-Deleting_categories.patch

A request about the naming convention of the patches in the patches/horde
directory.  I believe they are now called
HK-<author>-<application>-<version>-*  In which I think HK stands for Horde
Kolab is that correct?  Would it be possible to use:
HK-<application>-<version>--<author>* so an 'ls' list all patches for 1
application under eachother?

To conclude this email; what to do next ;) ?  Should things be cleaned up, or
not?  I find the current situation confusing.  The pach directory might be
nice, but is it really needed? In case the readme's in that directory are
placed next to the patches in the cvs horde module, it would remain clear.  A
single README in the server/patches/horde directory could explain how to
obtain the patches (find server/horde -name "*patch") and eplain that there
are README's for each patch.

And what about the directory horde/horde-kronolith and horde/fbview-kronolith?
Can either one be removed?

--
Richard Bos
We are borrowing the world of our children,

For compleneteness a listing of the server/patches/horde directory:
HK-GW-framework_3.2_RC1-Fbview_xfb_concept.patch
HK-GW-framework_3.2_RC1-Fix_Prefs_for_Ingo.patch
HK-GW-kronolith_2.2_RC1-Fbview_menu.patch
HK-GW-kronolith_2.2_RC1-Fbview_relevance.patch
HK-GW-kronolith_2.2_RC1-Fbview_xfb_access.patch
HK-GW-turba_2.2_RC1-Fix_editing_contacts.patch
HK-GW-turba_2.2_RC1-Fix_share_id_change.patch
HK-GW-turba_2.2_RC1-Ldap_read_only_fix.patch
HK-JS-kronolith_2.2_RC1-Fix_library_import.patch
HK-JS-nag_2.2_RC1-Fix_library_import.patch
HK-SB-kronolith_2.2_RC1-Fbview_extra_params.patch
HK-SB-kronolith_2.2_RC1-Fbview_save_attendees.patch