[Kolab-devel] Making perl-kolab a real library

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at pardus.de
Mon Aug 13 08:29:19 CEST 2007

Bernhard Reiter <bernhard at intevation.de> writes:

> On Friday 10 August 2007 16:56, Gunnar Wrobel wrote:
>> Is it okay that I changed the cvs tag to be a suffix of the version?
>>
>> The way it currently works looks like this for released packages:
>>
>> Source packages:    perl-kolab-2.1.0.tar.gz
>> OpenPKG source RPM: perl-kolab-2.1.0-20070810.src.rpm
>>
>> During CVS phase the packages would be named like this:
>>
>> Source packages:    perl-kolab-2.1.0_cvs-20070810.tar.gz
>> OpenPKG source RPM: perl-kolab-2.1.0_cvs-20070810.src.rpm
>>

>> Would it be okay like this?
>
> This is clearly an improvement, we could consider
>           perl-kolab-2.1.0+cvs20070810
> or
> 		perl-kolab-2.1.0-cvs20070810
>
> the idea is to actually increase this number should we release
> perl-kolab-2.1.1 to perl-kolab-2.1.1+cvs immedeately after the release
> so that it will be higher than 2.1.1.

The '+' is something I don't fancy too much. I've ssen a lot of
different version numbering schemes while packaging stuff for Gentoo
but a plus sign was not among them so I'm sceptic about using it.

But other than that I'm fine with the alternatives you suggested if
rpm correctly recognizes the higher versions. I was not very
successful in checking what schemes are actually supported by RPM or
how it determines what a higher version number is. Portage for Gentoo
knows about version suffixes and recognizes 2.1.0_alpha1 < 2.1.0_beta1
< 2.1.0_rc1 < 2.1.0 < 2.1.0_p1. That was why I chose "_cvs" as a
version suffix. For Gentoo I'm rewriting that to "_p" (patch level)
internally.

Cheers,

Gunnar