[Kolab-devel] KDE Client: Improve kolabwizard

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Fri Aug 10 13:08:53 CEST 2007

Request for discussion:

How can we improve kolabwizard to be simple to use but accomodate several
configuration scenarios?

Detailed problems:
a) Server is different from the maildomain
b) LDAP Base is different from the maildomain dc components
c) User should use dual mode (only groupware folders as dimap resource) other
   online
d) What if we find more variantions, like setting up newldap-resource instead
   of KAdressbookpart's ldap lookups.

Currently a) and c) is solved by adding another field which makes the dialog
more complicated and the user to enter more fields which might be the same
in some situations.

b) is unsolved. The user would need to reconfigure the Addresses -> LDAP
server settings.

Possible solutions:
Solving b) only it would be okay to make a dataconnection to the server
and ask for the root of the LDAP server.
Disadvantages: For some configuration this might not work, as the ldap server
might be different or there would be several root on it.
Also owe do a dataconnection which we currently do not which complicates
the implementation of Kolab Wizard.

Ideally the user should only need to type in id and password
and the system should do the rest.

I see two principle ways of resolving this
1) Add more configuration properties to the Wizard so that administration
at roolout time can give this configuration and the user is only presented
with the options that make sense.
2) We make a dataconnection and get the configuration from the server.
   For this we would need to find a server. This could be done using
   DNS and the mailserver or something else. An LDAP request
   could bring us the configuration information and then the user
   would know what his/her homeserver is and all this.

Bernhard