[Kolab-devel] RFC: Another package split, this time PHP

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at pardus.de
Tue Aug 7 11:10:03 CEST 2007

Hi!

While discussing the current structure of kolab-webadmin with Marcus
Hüwe he also suggested that it might be good to have the libraries
within this package as a normal PEAR package. After thinking about
that I think this would be a very good solution.

So I'd like to suggest another splitting of packages:

 1) Moving PHP library parts from kolab-webadmin into a new php-kolab
    package

 2) Moving PHP library parts from kolab-resource-handlers into a new
    php-kolab package

This would improve several things:

 1) Allow sane packaging for the native Kolab ports

 2) Allow providing clean source archives for the packages mentioned
    above.

 3) Remove code duplication within the current PHP script (a cleanup
    op that has been pending for a while).

Having a Kolab-specific PHP library might also facilitate code
exchange with the Kolab-specific module within Horde.

Any objections to that plan? I'd like to effect this change rather
soon since I'll have to work on kolab-resource-handlers anyhow. So cry
out loud quick :)

Cheers,

Gunnar