[Kolab-devel] Forum at eforum.de

Andreas Micklei andreas.micklei at ivistar.de
Mon Sep 18 12:48:41 CEST 2006

Hi Bernhard,

Am Freitag, 15. September 2006 19:16 schrieb Bernhard Reiter:
> > How about closing the forum and putting a link to the mailingliste there?
>
> we do link the mailinglists already, so it would be about removing the
> link.
>
> > When I first stumbled across the forum I got the impression that kolab
> > was a dead project. IMHO the forum in it's current form does more harm
> > than good. Additionally the mailingliste is reasonably low traffic, so I
> > don't see the need for a forum.
>
> Some users reported that they will much more comfortable with a forum,
> it has some advantages compared to a mailinglists regarding the
> possibilities to organise topics, like moving threads.
> On the other hand if I cannot reach Olaf and do not get answer from Lanner
> as some point, I think that removing the link is something I will have to
> do.
>
> There is one person that possibly could volunteer for being a moderator,
> I could also publish a call for help on the users-list.

To make my point clear. My critism was in no way meant to be destructive. I
know that many people prefer a forum over a mailinglist or newsgroup, so
generally I think having a forum is a good thing.

Unfortunately I think there is not enough discussion around kolab to fill all
the boards in the foum with meaningfull content. This is why I got the
impression of kolab being a dead project and nearly dropping it after looking
through the forum. IMHO people are scared away when they look at the current
state of the forum. For example look at the Kolab Wish List. The last posting
is from February 23, 2006. Not really encouraging for new kolab users.

On the other hand this mailinglist is active with discussion and very useful.
So I think focusing on this working communication channel and directing people
here would be a better idea than investing time in the structure of the
forum.

Just my 2 Cents.

regards,
Andreas Micklei