[Kolab-devel] Please get rid of OpenPKG (was: Re: Fwd: [ANNOUNCE] OpenPKG project diverges 2-STABLE branch)

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at gentoo.org
Fri Sep 15 22:40:21 CEST 2006

Michael Stucki <mundaun at gmx.ch> writes:

>>> Currently I'm using Kolab on a Debian server with an additional instance
>>> of Apache for serving additional websites. Although all this would be
>>> possible within the Kolab environment, I want to stick to standardized
>>> paths and configurations, just to make maintenance of this server easier
>>> for myself.
>>
>> You could consider OpenPKG path' more standard then Debian ones
>> as they will hold across GNU/Linux and other operating system boundaries.
>
> From a Kolab developers view (who has many Kolabs where he can expect every
> file at the same place) this may be true and makes life easier for you.
>
> But from a system administrator this is definitely wrong. The whole system
> is a huge foreign body, everything is different than elsewhere.

You are completely correct here. So it simply depends on the value you
place on each different view. As a sysadmin you might decide to choose
your platform of choice but you might get it with a higher risk for
bugs than if you choose OpenPKG.

One should never forget that Kolab is a very, very complex system so
trying to get the most stable environment is a very reasonable
point. And I am saying this as the person that ported stuff to Gentoo
since I feel so much more at home in that distro than I did in
OpenPKG.

>> OpenPKG has many advantages over running a specific GNU/Linux
>> distribution.
>
> It also seems to keep motivations low to make seamless integration easier:

I'd disagree. It is available on SuSE and Gentoo, there are efforts
getting it to Debian and the amount of work invested by Markus and
Richard to get Kolab distro-agnostic does not look like "low
motivation" to me :)

Cheers,

Gunnar

E-mail : wrobel at pardus.de                          Dr. Gunnar Wrobel
Tel.   : +49 40 432 72335                      Hartwig-Hesse Str. 12
Fax    : +49 40 432 70855                            D-20257 Hamburg