[Kolab-devel] Annoying "Conflict" dialogs in Kontact

ITSEF Admin itsef-admin at itsef.com
Wed Oct 25 12:14:37 CEST 2006

Hi all,

as per Bernhard's suggestion, I'll start this on kolab-devel as well - maybe
we can track this down to a point where I can at least create a useful issue
(or even find a solution... ;-) )...

The problem:
Every now and then, several of our users (all using the proko2 client after
2.1.4, SVN 591884 - but we've seen it with older versions as well) will get a
"Conflict" dialog for one or more appointment(s), stating that the
appointment has been changed both on the server and locally.

What's even worse: In most cases, it is almost impossible to get rid of
this dialog - no matter which option is chosen ("Use local", "Use new",
etc.), the warning comes back each and every time that Kontact syncs with
the server. The only surefire way to get rid of this is to delete the
appointment and re-create it.

Unfortunately, I have not yet been able to find a reliable way to re-create
this, but it does happen for different users (I even encountered it myself
once). I did notice, however, that some of the users involved occasionally
also complain about vanishing appointments - this may or may not be related.

Set-up notes:
We use NFS mounted home directories, but for performance reasons,
~/.kde/share/config and ~/.kde/share/apps/kmail/dimap are both located on the
local drive using symlinks. All folders involved have write access for the
owner only, plus read access for two more users. The user(s) in question were
logged in only once and I've personally seen at least one case where the
conflict message was not preceeded by a Kontact crash (at least not while I
was in front of the machine) - the conflict dialog came "out of the blue", so
to say.

Suggestions as to how to track this down are most welcome!

Thanks in advance,

Thomas