[Kolab-devel] Final Estimations - SPL for Kolab Webinterface

Raphael Langerhorst raphael at raphael.g-system.at
Wed Oct 25 11:08:45 CEST 2006

Hello everyone,

Yesterday I had another meeting with my boss and we further discussed the
Kolab2 webinterface project. I am glad to be able to present you an outline
and a final budget and timeline estimation.

The outline is here:
http://raphael.g-system.at/tech/kolab/interface.html

I've obviously learned not to present numbers too soon, but since I have
already made an initial proposal (which was obviously too low budgeted, sorry
about that) we want to make another more realistic one:

Budget and Timeline:

Budget: 15 000 Euro
Most of functionality (basically usable): within 1st Quarter of 2007 (Feb/Mar)
Additional issues and bug fixing: a couple of months
Finish the project: within 3rd Quarter 2007

With a budget of 15 000 Euro I could work on this project, implement most of
the functionality by the first quarter of 2007 and continue to solve upcoming
issues for another couple of months and generally finish the job by the third
quarter of 2007.
I am confident that this is possible. Additional budget is of course welcome,
but this is the minimum.

Reasons for working on this:

As hinted in the outline I do believe that we can come up with a much cleaner
and more maintainable solution this way than to adapt Horde, which is
important in the long-run (maintainability). At the same time the modern
technology can provide a much more sophisticated interface.
- without desiring harm for any work done on Horde.

Next Generation Interface:

The proposal also hints at another kind of next-generation interface that
could be implemented along similar lines. I would be even more eager to work
on this but I assume there is no funding. Still, if there is I'd be willing
to work on it - even with about the same budget. Doing both of these
interfaces would be possible with 25 000 Euro (less than twice the budget).
Something I would recommend if possible.

Functionality:

The functionality covers "generally expected groupware functionality". Details
for requirements should be discussed.

Personal:

I'm eager to work on this. I am working with Kolab2 since its 2.0 release and
would enjoy contributing to the project with such a component to make Kolab2
even more usable and complete. The estimated budget is rather small still,
but I can do this because of being familiar with the technologies and because
of personal and corporate interest. A major factor is also the approach
itself that results in a reasonable low amount of work.

Organising things:

I would propose to do the project through the Kolab-Konsortium in the sense
that the Kolab-Konsortium gets funding from interested parties and in turn
the Kolab-Konsortium is funding me/us to work on this project.

Please get in touch with me if you're interested!

Best Regards,
--
Raphael Langerhorst
http://raphael.g-system.at