[Kolab-devel] Kontact Performance, once again...

Till Adam till at kdab.net
Fri Oct 13 14:22:22 CEST 2006

On Wednesday 11 October 2006 12:34, ITSEF Admin wrote:
> On Wednesday 11 October 2006 08:57, Martin Konold wrote:
> > Am Dienstag, 10. Oktober 2006 10:43 schrieb ITSEF Admin:

> - During my first round of experiments (before the server upgrade),
> having dimap local was not enough - KMail *also* starts a flurry of
> activity on some files in ~/.kde/share/config (kmailrc, kdeglobals,
> several lockfiles), thus aggravating the problem. Having
> ~/.kde/share/config local, however, is a minor desaster - especially,
> if people want to be able to switch machines. All sorts of script and
> symlink trickery is needed to make certain that an up-to-date version
> of all config files is always present on any machine the user cares
> to log in on. This has proved fragile over the past months, so I'm
> not happy at all about this. I'll probably re-run some experiments
> with only dimap local and config on the NFS share, hoping that the
> fileserver upgrade was enough to make at least *this* approach
> bearable.

As noted in this thread proko2 does a lot of config file IO, which has
been improved in 3.5. There is probably at least a portion of these
changes that can be backported to improve this part of the issue.

> Another question: I did not find any issue specifically addressing
> this problem - any sense in me creating one?

Maybe it makes sense to have one for the config writing problem, if only
to be able to priorize it. Bernhard?

Cheers,

Till

Till Adam -- till at kdab.net, adam at kde.org