[Kolab-devel] Kontact Performance, once again...

Chris Hoy Poy chrishp at dugeo.com
Tue Oct 10 17:06:08 CEST 2006

yes - this issue sucks, doesnt it! I can have a single user, running a
decent machine (dual-dual-core opteron64, 16GB of memory, on RAID-5) -
and the server running off something similiar, and I'll hit this issue.

I've had users spit the dummy at me when Kontact locks up for 20-30
seconds while parsing folders :(

I think part of the problem is the lousy write performance on
synchronous NFS. It just has crap latency. the dimap is going to be
doing a lot of small i/o operations and I dont think NFS handles it very
well.

Any latency issue there gets badly handled by Kontact - it has some
issues backgrounding the i/o.

This is a LOT better in KDEPIM-3.5.4, and I've had to drop the proko2
stuff in favour of just running vanilla Kontact (FedoraCore5, 3.5.4 if
anyone cares) Its got all the functionality we need - not sure on the
difference really. I preferred that to losing my job / health (those
machines weigh a lot when someone throws them at you!)

The DIMAP functionality in Kontact is not fantastic. I think it lets the
team down. But again, its not until you run it over NFS that you see
these performance issues. And to anyone who wants to blame NFS here -
test Evolution in a similiar setup! ;)

I have done some testing with NFS+cacheFS but havent had much luck -
havent tried too hard. Doesnt seem to help with the writes much. I had
more luck with Samba, but I'm loathe to introduce that just to assist
with this issue. It did seem to help a bit tho.

//chris