[Kolab-devel] [issue1526] Kontact hogs CPU when copying to local folders

T. Ribbrock kolab-issues at intevation.de
Thu Nov 30 10:27:26 CET 2006

New submission from T. Ribbrock <itsef-admin at brightsight.com>:

Kontact proko2.1.5 on SuSE 10.0 (KDE 3.4.2, Qt 3.3.4):

I've seen the follwoing happening with both IMAP and DIMAP accounts: When
copying mails from a (D)IMAP folder to a local folder, Kontact sits there
hogging some 90% CPU time for about 5-10minutes (depends on the horsepower of
the machine, but it happens with a 6000mail copy as well as with a 3mail copy)
before starting to copy the mails. Copying itself is very slow (on average <
1/s) and Kontact keeps hogging CPU time while doing so, though less than
initially. During the "start-up" phase of the copy, Kontact becomes completely
unresponsive and thus unusable - it doesn't even update its window anymore.
At our place, Kontact is used with NFS-mounted home directories on a RAID array,
though ~/.kde/share/config and ~/.kde/share/apps/kmail/dimap are on the local
hard drive. The activity on the ethernet interface (100Mbit) is very low during
the whole process, even though neither file server nor mail server are under any
significant load during that period.

messages: 9033
nosy: itsef_admin
priority: bug
status: unread
title: Kontact hogs CPU when copying to local folders
topic: kde client