[Kolab-devel] Kolab resource problem with KDE Kontact

Robert Szentmihalyi robert at x-mail.de
Fri Nov 3 21:52:09 CET 2006

Hi, Bernhard,

sorry for cross-posting this to kolab-devel, but I found the problem and I
think it might be helpful.

On Friday 03 November 2006 12:57, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> On Thursday 26 October 2006 09:30, Robert Szentmihalyi wrote:
> > I am using Vontact 1.2 (which ships with KDE Version 3.5.2) on several
> > PCs.
>
> Thanks for helping to improve the KDE 3.5.x version.
> (For people with rock solid requirements the proko2 branch is what
> the Kolab-Konsortium currently recommends for production use.)

I see, but proko2 does but build on KDE 3.5, right?

> Note that there have been known problems with Kontact from 3.5.x.

Can you elaborate a bit on that? Is there any documentation about the
differences between proko2 and the KDE 3.5 version?
I am a software developer and would sure be interested in helping to get bugs
fixed once we have finished our MS Exchange migration and I have some more
free time....

> You could try Kontact from 3.5.5 to see if this is improved at this point.

I intend to do that once it goes stable on Gentoo.

> > Now, two users have problems accessing the shared (calendar and contacts)
> > resources.
> > The resources are configured and visible in KDE Control Center, but when
> > exiting Kontact, a message appears saying like: "Error while saving:
> > Resource Kolab-Server cannot be accessed" (translated from German).
> > The accounts were configured using kolabwizard, and everything used to
> > work fine. I actually can't tell what might have caused the problem.
>
> You can check on the server if the annotations and acls are still in place.
> Next you could try the trouble shooting menu for the folder in both
> clients, index rebuild first then cache refresh.
> Another thing to try is to reconfigure the same user freshly again (on a
> different machine) and see if this changes things.

Thanks for the input, but the problem was actually that I had my users
complaining about KMail starting up after KDE login, as described here:
https://intevation.de/roundup/kolab/issue334

I follwed David's suggestion, moving
ServiceTypes=DCOP/ResourceBackend/IMAP,DCOP/Mailer
from KMail.desktop to Kontact.desktop

That, however, caused the problem described above.
Any ideas why this happens?
I reverted the change and everything works nicely now again.

> Bernhard

Cheers,
 Robert