[Kolab-devel] Can Horde be fixed? (Re: kolabd package available in Debian sid)

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Tue May 23 18:56:29 CEST 2006

[Sorry to answer to late on the thread, got my hands full with the security
and client release.]

Am Freitag, 12. Mai 2006 16:36 schrieb Tobias Koenig:
> On Thu, May 11, 2006 at 12:03:20PM +0200, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> > Hi Tobias!
>
> Hi,
>
> > > getting up a Horde as Kolabfrontend is possible. The Share-Sync
> > > code needs some update though, but when that is done, it's equal to
> > > other kolab clients from a technical point of view.
> >
> > Does this mean you are using imap in a disconnected mode?
>
> As Jan and Andreas already mentioned, it's online IMAP, since real dIMAP
> doesn't make much sense when horde and kolab run on the same host.

Without caching, the rate of IMAP requests will be two magnitutes higher than
with a real Kolab client. This breaks scalability fast and cannot be
considered technically equal. At least the groupware object emails MUST be
cached, otherwise you will need to completely search, retrieve and parse the
relevant folders if you want to just re-display.

--
www.kolab-konsortium.com  Professional Maintenance, Consultancy and Support.