[Kolab-devel] Kolab with CentOS/ClarkConnect

Peter Baldwin peterb at pointclark.net
Wed Mar 29 18:44:49 CEST 2006

Hello Kolab Developers!

Quick introduction: I'm the project leader for the ClarkConnect Linux
distribution.  It's an open source business server software package designed
for 5 to 200-ish users (gory details are here:
http://www.clarkconnect.com/).  We're in the process of integrating Kolab
into the ClarkConnect solution and we're at the stage where we can start
contributing patches (we have to keep up with Gunnar!).  We'll have at least
one, and maybe two developers available to work on Kolab.

The core ClarkConnect packages are based on CentOS 4.x, so we'll have 95% of
the CentOS/Red Hat dist_conf sanity checked.  We'll also have the following
RPMs and source RPMs completed for any interested CentOS/Red Hat users:

1) all of the required perl-XYZ packages (e.g. perl-Mail-IMAPClient)
2) patched versions of cyrus-imapd and postfix
3) a "sandboxed" Apache/PHP/Pear/PECL build
4) a "sandboxed" MySQL build (for Horde testing)
5) Dspam (as a delivery agent)
5) miscellaneous and fairly minor patches that will hopefully make their way
into Kolab

My question boils down to this -- should we be in a "code freeze" kind of
mode, or still in a "take your time to fix it right" mode.  Here's a good
example of what I'm trying to get at (and mentioned in Gunnar's earlier
e-mail): issue #1176 https://intevation.de/roundup/kolab/issue1176 has a
quick, dirty, and fairly safe solution (a 3-line patch and an extra PHP
file).  The "take your time to fix it right" would be to add the required
PHP 5 code.

Cheers,
Peter