[Kolab-devel] Localisation

Tobias Koenig tokoe at kde.org
Thu Jun 22 10:35:32 CEST 2006

On Thu, Jun 22, 2006 at 09:26:56AM +0400, ?????? ?????? [Bulaev Nikita] wrote:
> Hello, all!
Hi Nikita,

> I've started to use Kolab and wanna take a litle part in development.
Fine, man power is always welcome :)

> Never did this before for such serious instance, so got a couple of questions:
>
> 1) I'd like to localise Kolab into Russian, how can I do that?
I guess you mean localizing the webadmin interface?
The webadmin interface uses the gettext framework which has a 'database'
for every language where the 'english term' -> 'target language term'
mapping is stored.

Take a look at the messages.po files in the kolab package. These files
are the plain text mapping where you have a 'msgid' entry for every
translatable string in the sources and a 'msgstr' entry where you can
write the translation of the msgid UTF-8 encoded.

When you have done the translation call

  msgfmt messages.po -o messages.mo

which converts the plain text mapping into a binary mapping for faster
access at runtime.

Afterwards you must move the messages.mo file to the locales/ directory
of the kolab directory structure (see how it is done for the other
messages.mo files)

For more questions google for 'gettext' or ask on this list again.

Ciao,
Tobias
--
Separate politics from religion and economy!
The Council of the European Union is an undemocratic and illegal institution!