[Kolab-devel] horde as kolab's wen frontend or not

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Fri Jul 21 19:05:56 CEST 2006

Hi Richard, Jan, Gunnar,

Am Freitag, 30. Juni 2006 00:01 schrieb Richard Bos:
> Sometime ago we discussed horde as frontend as kolab.  At that it was
> proposed to put something about this on wiki.  I have done this now.
> Please find it at: http://wiki.kolab.org/index.php/Horde

thanks for putting up the page.

Let me write it again: Of course everybody I know would like to have a good
Kolab webclient and if Horde can be made to work better
or to become this webclient, everybody would appreciate it.
Our assessment in the Kolab-Konsortium(KK) is, though, that if we would
get the resources to do a webclient, we would not start with Horde right now.
Some of the reasons have been given in previous emails.

> It would be nice if the page can be extended with more detailed design
> information, like why horde is considered a security risk for kolab and how
> this could be resolved technically.

Yes, we should try to keep a good summary of the discussion on the wiki.
I did some minor edits and I also believe that we can page the cited emails
shorter and more clearly indicate who wrote what.

Given the assessment of the KK, this means we will currently:
 * not invest much time in the Horde client
 * would rather not see it in the official version, because we would have a
hard time supporting it

But, this should not keep back anybody who disagree with us!
This is a Free Software project and if anybody can make Horde work, please do
so. I can imagine to have a Horde add-on distribution for people who like to
try and possibly have a low number of users.

I will also try to help you to understand the Kolab concept and all the
implementation as good as we can.

Bernhard