[Kolab-devel] horde as kolab's web frontend or not

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Sun Jul 9 15:56:22 CEST 2006

Zitat von Richard Bos <radoeka at xs4all.nl>:

> Op zaterdag 8 juli 2006 12:56, schreef Jan Schneider:
>> > What about scalability?  Is it easy to add just another horde server, or
>> > should I say slave?  So, there should actually be 1 horde master and many
>> > replicated slaves (like ldap indeed).
>>
>> Horde scales very well and doesn't need a
>> master-slave-architecture.  If you need more performance, just
>> through another web server in.
>> Horde is running in production on server farms serving up to
>> millions  of users.
>
> That's impressive!    But just adding another server means, that it needs to
> be configured as well.  With master/save I meant that a change made on the
> master, e.g. to disallow imp for users, would propagate to all the slaves as
> well.  In case of seperate servers all systems must be visited by the
> horde-admin to configure that setting.  Or does it not work like this?

In this certain example it depends on how you want to restrict access.
If you do it with configuration files, you'd have to do it on all
server, if through the permission system, you do it once, because the
data is stored in the central sql server (cluster).
Basically everything that needs to be done in configuration files, on
the file system, or in the webserver or php configuration has to be
done on all horde servers.

Jan.

http://horde.org/consulting/