[Kolab-devel] Client Roadmap in Wiki?

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Fri Jul 7 12:31:49 CEST 2006

Am Freitag, 30. Juni 2006 20:34 schrieb Richard Bos:
> Op vrijdag 30 juni 2006 16:33, schreef Bernhard Reiter:
> > I guess we should also start a KDE Client Roadmap document.
> > Should we try doing this in the Kolab Wiki or append it to the current
> > http://www.kolab.org/roadmap.html ?
>
> Depends, sometime it was stated by kolab that roadmaps are fixed and are
> determined by kolab (KK?).

Well, roadmaps are never fixed to begin with, I am also a roadmap sceptic...
Many people demand to have one, so it might be fine to put in
what is in the head of the people within the project.

It is important to  make a distinction between the Kolab "project" and the KK.
The Kolab project - should better be called "Kolab Network" or "Kolab Group",
as we do not have an extraordinary goal that can be reached, but a lot of
maintenance tasks as well that are continous operations.
(This is true with many Free Software "groups".)

Anybody that participates in the activities of the Kolab Group, taking over
some tasks and contributing in a regular way is part of the group that should
set the roadmap for the project.

The Kolab-Konsortium is also part of this group. As the business needs of the
KK currently make up a lot of the activities for Kolab, the KK currently has
a large influence, but this might change in the future and others might take
more important roles.

For the roadmap that means: If there is someone doing something outside of the
KK, why not put that on the roadmap.

> aqs such they could not be part of the wiki, as
> everybody can change the roadmap....

This is the drawback, you are right on the other hand: Updating the roadmap is
more work,  if it can only be done by CVS. Using the wiki might result in a
more uptodate roadmap more often.

For now I think I will start it in the CVS.
Bernhard

--
www.kolab-konsortium.com  Professional Maintenance, Consultancy and Support.