[Kolab-devel] horde as kolab's web frontend or not

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at gentoo.org
Wed Jul 5 23:36:15 CEST 2006

Richard Bos <radoeka at xs4all.nl> writes:

> And in case of kolab the ldap database should be used to store the data is
> that right?  And the reason for that is, that the user's credentials can be
> used instead of the database user only (which is considered a security issue
> by the kolab developers, is that correct)?

I tend to disagree on that. You could certainly exchange the sql
driver against a ldap driver. And you are right, you would not loose
any functionality through that.

But I suggested to get rid of the DataTree in its entirety because it
is MAINLY used for share data. All of the share specific information
can be directly stored on the IMAP folders themselves (owner,
permissions, name). So there is no need at all for having a database
backend, neither sql nor ldap.

My impression has also been that this would greatly simplify the way
kolab shares are handled. Right now this is a tangled mess of hooks
that try to keep the data in the DataTree in sync with the IMAP
folders. If I'm not completely mistaken this can be avoided.

This would need an IMAP oriented Permission driver and a Kolab
specific Share driver.

The functionality that will be lost in this transition:

 1) DataTree functions other than Shares

 2) Some extensions to the permission system that cannot be supported
 by an IMAP driver.

 3) Stuff I overlooked :)

1) is not really a problem since nobody would prevent you from still
   having a mysql db and keeping your datatree in there if you really
   need something of the additional functions. From what I saw so far
   I have nothing other than shares using the datatree.

2) So far there is only the option to limit the number of items
   (events, notes, addresses,...) that would get lost for kolab. Not
   much of a problem since the number of items a user can have is
   limited by a quota if desired.

3) Probably a few things :)

> Jan: thank you for making time to shine a light on the horde vs kolab issues.
> It's appreciated.

And thanks for writing great code. The whole horde stuff is really
well readable which is a delight.

Cheers

Gunnar

--
Gunnar Wrobel                    Gentoo Developer

Mail: wrobel at gentoo.org
WWW:  http://www.gunnarwrobel.de
IRC:  #gentoo-web at freenode.org