[Kolab-devel] horde as kolab's web frontend or not

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at gentoo.org
Mon Jul 3 15:21:22 CEST 2006

Richard Bos <radoeka at xs4all.nl> writes:

> Trying to develop this from scratch will be an enormous job..., which I don't
> expect to happen or whne it happens takes ages.  Besides this, the horde
> interface has been translated to many languages already...  which is a big
> plus imho.

+1

> The cyrus imap server settings contain kolab's manager and the manager's
> password settings.
> I assume that this is not desired and that this should be changed?

This is probably not that easy. Horde uses this password to be able to
store the internal uid of horde "shares". A share is a folder with a
given type like "calender", "contacts" etc. The standard kolab
groupware stuff. Horde stores information about these shares in the
datatree. In order to keep the relation between the mail folder and
the information in the datatree, horde attaches additional annotation
to the mail folder. This way horde is able to identify the folder even
if the user changed its name within another kolab client.

Usually it is perfectly sufficient to use the users password to save
this horde specific annotation. This is NOT the case for shared
folders that are not owned by the user. For global shares or shared
folders that belong to other users horde currently uses the manager
password in order to store its internal share id on the specific
folder.

I do believe that this whole system actually does not work as expected
within horde. I did invest some time last week in order to understand
what the original intention might have been but I'm not yet finished
with that.

> The ldap server settings contain kolab's manager and the manager's password
> settings.  Hmm, I just discovered tha the Bind Password in my configuration
> is not correct.  This does not seem to harm the horde functioning at all.
> Anyway I assume that the manager's password should be removed here as well?

I believe the ldap manager password was only ever used for storing the
user preferences. The normal user password is definitely sufficient
for that and the only thing that was missing was the unpriviledged
user so that internal users can also save their preferences. This is
the patch that I sent upstream and that Jan mentioned in his mail.

The unpriviledged user should probably also be used in order to fix
the login problems for internal users. I guess the current horde code
does not allow these special users to use the webmail.

Cheers

Gunnar

--
Gunnar Wrobel                    Gentoo Developer

Mail: wrobel at gentoo.org
WWW:  http://www.gunnarwrobel.de
IRC:  #gentoo-web at freenode.org