[Kolab-devel] [issue1083] master.cf permission/group settings

Richard Bos kolab-issues at intevation.de
Wed Jan 18 13:06:06 CET 2006

New submission from Richard Bos <radoeka at xs4all.nl>:

A question about the master.cf file group/perm settings.

In the template file, the meta data states:
PERMISSIONS=0640
OWNERSHIP=root:root

On suse the permissions are set to 0644.

Depending on the outcome of this issue a new autoconf variable has to be
introduced.

On suse:
postfix runs as root
qmgr and pickup runs as postfix.

In case qmgr or pickup have to use the master.cf file  it can't do it with
the current kolab settings (root:root 0640).  Would it be okay to make the
settings 0644?  Just curious why are others not allowed to read the file, it
does not contain passwords and such afai could determine.

If the 0640 has to stay I want to change the template to (e.g.):
PERMISSIONS=0640
OWNERSHIP=root:@emailserver_mastercf_grp@
Is that okay?

Another thing is why is the master.cf owned by root:root and the
main.cf by kolab-n:kolab-r?  In this case I would expect main.cf to be owned
by kolab-n:kolab-r as well.

Although this issue has been given a priority of 'minor bug', 'info' would
have been better (but that is not present).

assignedto: martin
messages: 6352
nosy: bernhard, martin, mhuewe, rbos, steffen
priority: minor bug
status: unread
title: master.cf permission/group settings