[Kolab-devel] Private calendar/tasks items

Pieter Vanmeerbeek pieter.vanmeerbeek at able.be
Wed Jan 4 11:56:40 CET 2006

Hi,

I'm using the kolab/Kontact/Konsec combination for a while now (which is
really great), but I'm missing one important concept: private items.

Both Konsec and Kontact have the property to make a calendar appointment or
task private. However kolab does not private a mechanisme to achieve this.
This is an advantage for exchange as they do support this.

Other groupware clients also tried to implement this, however they put the
implementation logic in the mail client itself, which is not good as
consulting your mail account using another mail client will reveal private
information.

A simple solution which is currently possible is to add a second calendar
(task folder) which is not shared with other users for private items.
However this calendar can not be synced with palm/pocketpc as most
synchronization software only allow syncing of one calendar. Secondly
reminders will not work on a second calendar in outlook (don't know if the
same is valid for contact). So I don't think this is a very good solution

I think the only solution to implement this feature is for kolab to provide
a mechanism to hide this private information for all clients. In my opinion
two solutions exist for this:

1. Use some kind of encryption key

2. Use the same idea of multiple calendars/task folders, however hidden by
kolab towards the clients behind one combined calendar/task folder.

I don't know if this is possible. Perhaps someone else has a better idea?

I believe implementing this feature will eliminate one of the few advantages
left that exchange has over the kolab system. Certainly because both contact
and outlook already provide an interface for private items

Kind regards,
Pieter

--
NEW: aXs GUARD hands-on Trainings v.7.0
more info at http://www.axsguard.com/indextraining.htm

aXs GUARD has completed security and anti-virus checks on this e-mail
(http://www.axsguard.com)