[Kolab-devel] Happy New Kolab Year!

Bernhard Reiter bernhard.reiter at intevation.de
Tue Jan 3 16:06:10 CET 2006

Hello Kolab Developers, Helpers and Friends,

a happy new year to all of you!
When the year changes its number
it is a classic time to think about what the last year brought
and what someone wants to archieve in the new year.

Kolab2 the server and client implementation have seen stable
releases in 2005. Yes, they are in sucessful in production
which proves the Kolab concept was on target and there
actually  was a technical need for something like Kolab.
With more user exposure we have learned a lot and
there is a pile of things to do.
It will be an interesting year 2006!

On the server side we have seen quite a few updates
triggered by our own doings, real upstream and OpenPKG improvements
and more user exposure.
Server 2.0.2 is around the corner to wrap up a few things
including the security updates that have been made.
My goal was to put it under the christmas tree for our users,
but security advisory 7 interfered with the plan.
After christmas quite a few people from the team within
the Kolab Konsortium took a well deserved break to stay
with their families.

Now we are back, picking up on things.
I hope that we get Server 2.1beta out of the door and
see it mature rapidly. Unfortunately we did not get many
feedback upon the last snapshots that we prepared,
but it was a pleasure to see Richard and Marcus working
intensively to clean up server code to make it more indendent of OpenPKG.
There is no plan to drop OpenPKG, on the contrary:
we can have our own mirror of the relevant OpenPKG packages
that Kolab Server needs. It will be usable without OpenPKG registration.

At this point let us say thanks a lot for OpenPKG
and their efforts to make unix software more easily deployable!
If you are using Kolab Server (on our releases based on OpenPKG)
and like it, you can fill out their feedback form and tell them!
It is appreciated!

In general I like if the Kolab Server can be as accessible as possible
and our development community can grow.
This  list certainly will stay a focus point of development coordination.
And the people to keep this list a clean place are also to thank
on the start of the new year: Our Mailinglist-Moderators:

   Stephan Beuys (which dropped out end of the year, all the best!)
   Henning Holtschneider
   Jeffrey Lim

I do not know who did most the work, but it gets done!
Thanks Henning, Jeffrey and Stephan to protect us from spam
and still keep the possibility open for some unsubscribed posts!

Best,
	Bernhard