[Kolab-devel] python connector - preliminary ideas

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at pardus.de
Fri Dec 1 19:19:29 CET 2006

Torsten Irländer <torsten.irlaender at intevation.de> writes:

> On Friday, 1. December 2006 15:05, Stéphane Konstantaropoulos wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> This is more loud talk than actual design.
>>
>> Python has the imaplib library that allow to access almost all the features
>> of IMAP4rev1. However it does not have any object oriented way of directly
>> accessing messages.
>>
>> A little problem there is that the annotations are supported only from
>> Python 2.5, we could check for the version and if it's an older version we
>> are running we could just use the standard names ("Calendar", "Contacts",
>> "Tasks" and "Journal").
> Well I am far away from beeing an expert on this, but it might be an idea to
> take a look on the twisted library which provides nice imap functionality too
> and combines this with an elegant way of writing asyncronous network
> applications which might become handy. The drawback of this approach is to
> introduce another library.
> Anyway, I do not know if twisted is of any benefit for this connector but I
> wanted to throw another idea into this discussion.

The only problem with the twisted IMAP library is also missing
functionality. It lacks the acl handling as well as the annotation
handling.

Other than that it's pretty nice. It uses zope.interfaces which is a
big plus in terms of being object oriented. It provides nice client
and message objects. And this might make it far easier to code a
caching wrapper around the IMAP part.

I believe the missing functionality should not be too much of a
problem since the Twisted classes in general are not too hard to
extend.

If people would choose this lib as the imap handler I would definitely
offer to get involved there since I already did some twisted
programming and like the concepts behind it.

Cheers,

Gunnar

E-mail : wrobel at pardus.de                          Dr. Gunnar Wrobel
Tel.   : +49 40 432 72335                      Hartwig-Hesse Str. 12
Fax    : +49 40 432 70855                            D-20257 Hamburg