[Kolab-devel] Please get rid of OpenPKG (was: Re: Fwd: [ANNOUNCE] OpenPKG project diverges 2-STABLE branch)

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Thu Aug 17 19:12:49 CEST 2006

Hi Michael,

Am Donnerstag, 17. August 2006 13:04 schrieb Michael Stucki:
> In my opinion the focus of Kolab to OpenPKG is one of the biggest mistakes
> around Kolab.

this was discussed before: We would not have had the current Kolab solution,
including the server implementation, if we would not have used OpenPKG.
Furthermore: We are not focussed on OpenPKG.

> Currently I'm using Kolab on a Debian server with an additional instance of
> Apache for serving additional websites. Although all this would be possible
> within the Kolab environment, I want to stick to standardized paths and
> configurations, just to make maintenance of this server easier for myself.

You could consider OpenPKG path' more standard then Debian ones
as they will hold across GNU/Linux and other operating system boundaries.

> As far as I remember the reason for you choosing OpenPKG was that you did
> need to make some changes to other products like Postfix.

This is not the main reason.
The reason is the ability to provide a stable product which can be supported
and do not interfere with the choice of host operating system that the
customer has made.

OpenPKG has many advantages over running a specific GNU/Linux distribution.

Bernhard