[Kolab-devel] lower case shared folder names

Martin Konold martin.konold at erfrakon.de
Tue Aug 15 07:45:09 CEST 2006

Am Mittwoch, 9. August 2006 08:48 schrieb Tobias Koenig:

Hi,

> Hmm, but this seems to be a bug IMHO, email addresses are always case
> insensitive AFAIK.

This claim is wrong from an RFC point of view but very true for Joe Average
and the reason why we introduce the cenversion to lower case for the names of
public folders.

see also: http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2821.txt

"The local-part of a mailbox MUST BE treated as case sensitive. Therefore,
SMTP implementations MUST take care to preserve the case of mailbox
local-parts. Mailbox domains are not case sensitive. In particular, for some
hosts the user "smith" is different from the user "Smith". However,
exploiting the case sensitivity of mailbox local-parts impedes
interoperability and is discouraged.“

I think this problem is caused by the old smtp implementations on case
sensitive unix filesystems. Back then the mail was directly delivered
to /var/spool/login. The login and $HOME=/home/login are case sensitive. E.g.
The user Foo and foo can coexist on a unix system. This makes the implicit
email addresses foo at unixhost.tld and Foo at unixhost.tld distinct.

Regards,
-- martin

--