[Kolab-devel] Kolab and Global Distribution Lists

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Wed Aug 9 11:49:28 CEST 2006

Am Dienstag, 8. August 2006 20:43 schrieb Marc-Antoine Zizka:
> > >From what I can gather, Kolab has implemented distribution lists as a
> >
> > list of
> > email addresses (see
> > http://www.kolab.org/doc/kolabformat-2.0rc3-html/c226.html ).
>
> In LDAP (global) distribution lists, the full LDAP DN is stored in the
> member attribute, not the email address.
>
> The link you are referring to is for IMAP (local) distribution lists, which
> could be used e.g. by individual users for storing personal lists on the
> server.

They can also be shared when they are in a folder where several people have
access control. Note that an email address is the best identification you
have for a person that is connected to the internet. It rarely changes
and it is unique. It is true the format for distribution list objects
it requires a change in several places, which could be done automatically.
The alternative is to introduce unique ids, but now you have to prevent
doubles.

Bernhard