[Kolab-devel] Kolab and Global Distribution Lists

BJ Blanchard blabj at dainty.ca
Tue Aug 8 20:08:47 CEST 2006

Hi all,

We have a requirement for global ldap-based distribution lists, and have just
migrated 60 users to KDE/Kontact and are investigating Kolab (currently using
vanilla openLDAP and Cyrus IMAP).

From what I can gather, Kolab has implemented distribution lists as a list of
email addresses (see
http://www.kolab.org/doc/kolabformat-2.0rc3-html/c226.html ).

We have many contacts (thousands) that can be on many distribution lists
(hundreds), so you can imagine - if one contact changes his/her email
address, we are forced to examine/change every distribution list.

Wouldn't it make sense to store a distribution list as a list of LDAP UIDs
instead of actual email addresses, and have the client retreive the actual
email address based on the UID?

Currently we implemented a hack for kmail to be able to publish/refresh global
distribution lists thru the local filesystem (manipulation
of .kde/share/apps/kabc/distlists).  OK for short-term, but looking
for "real" solution.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks,

BJ Blanchard