[Kolab-devel] Can Horde be fixed? (Re: kolabd package available in Debian sid)

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at gentoo.org
Sun Aug 6 21:40:50 CEST 2006

Martin Konold <martin.konold at erfrakon.de> writes:

>> At least the groupware object emails MUST be
>> cached, otherwise you will need to completely search, retrieve and parse
>> the relevant folders if you want to just re-display.
>
> This is very much correct. E.g. in order to be able to make use of the
> calendar a Kolab clients needs access to all object at once. (Think about
> recurrances etc.)

I think nobody disagrees that imap caching would be a desireable thing
for the horde web client. In fact actually any web client that works
with the kolab server.

The impression I got from the discussions so far was that writing a
new web client might be easier than getting horde to work efficiently
together with the kolab server.

I completely disagree with that notion.

As I already mentioned I believe that the whole manager login problems
and the datatree issues can be solved and the code I wrote last week
works reasonably well so that I'll be able to send it upstream for
review soon. So that basically leaves the caching problem as also
summarized on http://wiki.kolab.org/index.php/Horde

Under the assumption that any new web client would also be written in
PHP I don't understand why there would be any reason to implement a
new web client. Anything coded in PHP would probably use the PEAR
Net_Imap package for accessing the server anyhow. And I don't think it
is unreasonable to assume that the major part of the cache would
actually be just a wrapper around this PEAR package. So the code of
the client itself would probably be minimally affected by the decision
to use a cached connection or not.

I definitely do not want to prevent anyone from writing a new and
shiny client :) I just want to state that I see no reason whatsoever
for stating that horde will not be an efficient web client for the
kolab server. Especially after taking the horde code apart and getting
a deeper look at the insides of the beast.

Cheers

Gunnar

--
Gunnar Wrobel                    Gentoo Developer

Mail: wrobel at gentoo.org
WWW:  http://www.gunnarwrobel.de
IRC:  #gentoo-web at freenode.org