[Kolab-devel] Kolab with CentOS/ClarkConnect

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Tue Apr 4 16:13:49 CEST 2006

Am Mittwoch, 29. März 2006 18:44 schrieb Peter Baldwin:
> Hello Kolab Developers!

Hi Peter,

> Quick introduction: I'm the project leader for the ClarkConnect Linux
> distribution.  It's an open source business server software package
> designed for 5 to 200-ish users (gory details are here:
> http://www.clarkconnect.com/).  We're in the process of integrating Kolab
> into the ClarkConnect solution and we're at the stage where we can start
> contributing patches (we have to keep up with Gunnar!).  We'll have at
> least one, and maybe two developers available to work on Kolab.

welcome to Kolab!
It is great that you have considered us and that you are going to integrate
the Kolab Server into your solution!

We welcome contributions very much!
If we do not take them up as nicely and fast as we would like, this is because
of a bit of a management problem we have with coordinating the development.
The Kolab solution only was possible because we spend a lot of time
in the design to assemble the solution. This is one reason why OpenPKG
is choosen, to keep the support and design possible at all.
There are many potential ways, Kolab can evolve from this point
and we want to keep this together. It means keeping the team of experienced
people together and create a long term financial perspective.
We are in the process of doing this and the Kolab-Konsortium is gaining
customers and experiment how to set this up so the best technical decisions
are taken for the project.

> My question boils down to this -- should we be in a "code freeze" kind of
> mode, or still in a "take your time to fix it right" mode.  Here's a good
> example of what I'm trying to get at (and mentioned in Gunnar's earlier
> e-mail): issue #1176 https://intevation.de/roundup/kolab/issue1176 has a
> quick, dirty, and fairly safe solution (a 3-line patch and an extra PHP
> file).  The "take your time to fix it right" would be to add the required
> PHP 5 code.

In general we like the "take your time to fix it right" mode a lot better.
The Kolab Server 2.1 is basically in feature freeze and is tested in quality
control. As ports to other platforms are all "unoffical" in some sense,
they could still be improved I would say.

Regards,
Bernhard