[Kolab-devel] PHP5 fixes for the kolab-resource-handler

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at gentoo.org
Mon Apr 3 10:05:10 CEST 2006

Martin Konold <martin.konold at erfrakon.de> writes:

> Am Mittwoch, 29. März 2006 15:27 schrieb Gunnar Wrobel:
>
> Hi Gunnar,
>
>> I attached a few patches to make the kolab-resource-handler package
>> work together with php5. Some of it are just trivial "array_merge"
>> fixes.
>
> Can you pleace provide a tested patch which does not have a negative effect on
> OpenPKG installations?

Sorry, I did create a wrong impression there. The patches do not have
any detrimental effects on the OpenPKG version. The array_merge
patches will have no side effects and the domxml fix will only get
activated if you run PHP5.

The domxml functions got completely removed in PHP5. So the current
way the Kolab php scripts work with xml simply won't work anymore. The
intermediate patch I provided will import a wrapper script if you run
PHP5. This wrapper script will "recreate" all the PHP4 domxml
functions by using the current PHP5 xml functions. So the Kolab xml
code can remain unchanged but will also work with PHP5.

Since Kolab runs on OpenPKG you always know exactly which PHP version
you are using. So dual PHP4/5 is definitely no issue for the standard
Kolab version. You could easily delay the fix to the point when
OpenPKG switches the PHP version and modify the php code for the new
xml module at that point.

On the other hand it would be nice for the other distros to have the
dual PHP4/5 capabilities. Since it only adds three lines and one
additional file I don't think it would be difficult to remove the fix
once standard Kolab requires PHP5.

Cheers

Gunnar

--
Gunnar Wrobel                    Gentoo Developer

Mail: wrobel at gentoo.org
WWW:  http://www.gunnarwrobel.de
IRC:  #gentoo-web at freenode.org