[Kolab-devel] Volunteers for Kolab_Server at OpenPKG2.5 step up! :-)

Matt Douhan matt at fruitsalad.org
Thu Sep 22 08:50:11 CEST 2005

On Wednesday 21 September 2005 21:11, Oden Eriksson wrote:
> onsdag 21 september 2005 20.51 skrev thomas+kolab at lotterer.net:
> > Dear Kolab Community!
> >
> > I'm looking for volunteers which help me getting as many Kolab
> > Server excrescences as possible back into OpenPKG. You know
> > the genuine way installing Kolab Server is to run "obmtool",
>
> OpenPKG is not the answer. Please make kolab work without the OpenPKG
> pieces. Only then you will gain ground for this product.

I could not disagree more!!

OpenPkg is an environment that runs in parallell with the existing ports/pkg
system, the solution is not to get rid of openpkg but have openpkg as one
possible way to install Kolab. I agree that the installed base would increase
but it makes no sense to do that and get rid of openpkg at the same time,
that would only be a stupid solution.

We have some extremely large installations and I know for a fact they would
never even consider a non openpkg solution, in the telco world openpkg is
looked upon with great respect please do not disregard that, for Joe User
wanting an email server at home to play with, or $TINYPROJECT other solutions
may be easier but those are not the target of the kolab server in the first
place.

The openpkg way gives users one source of updates with one maintainer, for
kolab that being the current kolab group that packages and maintains the
kolab packages. This is IMO far superior to many distributions where pkg A is
maintained by person A and pkg B is maintained by person B etc.

Conclusion, by all means make Kolab work with distro's ports/pkg systems but
don't do it on the expense of openpkg that would be suicide into the larger
arenas.

rgds

Matt

--