[Kolab-devel] Volunteers for Kolab_Server at OpenPKG2.5 step up! :-)

Davison Long davlist2 at nextgentech.net
Thu Sep 22 03:46:07 CEST 2005

I am inclined to agree.  As much as I like Kolab, it would be 1000 percent
better if the source could just be installed like any other software out
there.  If there was a focus on getting Kolab specific mods into the
upstream sources of the required programs, then it would be a piece of cake
for people to support packages for their own distro.  It would be fairly
easy to make ebuilds, RPMs, etc. if we had the raw source designed outside
of the OpenPKG system.  I know it is probably futile at this point to make
such a request, but I honestly think that the OpenPKG system is one of the
main reasons why Kolab seems to get nearly zero attention from the
mainstream even though it has been around longer than most other groupware
projects.

I would love to offer some time for creating a Gentoo ebuild, but I would
only do that if I could start with sources not from OpenPKG and I was
assured that patches would be aggressively marketed to be included in the
vanilla sources of the programs Kolab depends on.  Seriously, this is the
way to go.

Just my opinion...

-davison